Southern Piia Accountant-Maternity Cover
Jobs at:Plan International
Deadline of this Job:
13 August 2021
Date Posted: Monday, August 02, 2021 , Base Salary: Not Disclosed
Location: Accra, Ghana
Company: Plan International
Plan International is an independent development and humanitarian organisation that advances children’s rights and equality for girls.
We believe in the power and potential of every child. But this is often suppressed by poverty, violence, exclusion and discrimination. And it’s girls who are most affected.
Working together with children, young people, our supporters and partners, we strive for a just world, tackling the root causes of the challenges facing girls and all vulnerable children.
We support children’s rights from birth until they reach adulthood. And we enable children to prepare for – and respond to – crises and adversity. We drive changes in practice and policy at local, national and global levels using our reach, experience and knowledge.
We have been building powerful partnerships for children for over 80 years, and are now active in more than 70 countries.
Title: Program Impact and Influencing Area (PIIA) Accountant
Functional Area: Program Impact and Influencing Area
Reports to: Program Impact and Influencing Area Manager
Dotted reporting line to the Head of Finance and Operations
Location: Country Office
Travel required: 30%
[A concise statement, capturing the primary reasons that this role exists and a clear articulation of the context of the role. How will this role contribute to creating lasting change for children?]
This position is to ensure that all Program Unit (PU) financial operations are conducted as per the prescriptions of the Operating Manual (OM) and other approved policies and procedures at the IH, RO and CO levels.
Dimensions of the Role
[This section provides a summary of the size and authority of the post. It covers the size of the budget held, the numbers of direct reports, other key stakeholders who may depend on it, the type of communication required, the external representation involved and the reach of the role.]
Financial measures or statistics relevant to post such as budget; list of direct and indirect reports
• Controls PIIA annual budget of approximately Eur 1m
• One PIIA Accounts Officer reports directly to the role
• Area of Responsibility – PIIA
[This section is critical for clarifying expectations of the role, providing the framework for its relationship with colleagues and providing areas of accountability against which performance can be managed.
This should include a series of brief statements that define the end results required. e.g. drive, contribute, identify, manage, responsible for, advise/coach, build, develop, provide, conduct, oversee, establish, participate etc.
Statements should ideally be worded so that they will lead to thoughts of measurement. For example, it is better to state something like "achieve maintenance standards" than "undertake maintenance". The former leads to a measure against the maintenance standards.]
“What” is done and “why”, but not “how”; include indicators for success
Prepares Financial and other Reports to aid the preparation of the overall country’s financial report for dissemination and decision making. To do this, the role:
• Prepares and submits accurate and timely financial management reports (Monthly, quarterly and yearly).
• Assists the Country Accountant in the preparation of quarterly and year-end reports.
• Undertakes monthly community and partner visits and submits reports to Country Accountant for consolidation.
• Prepares and provides comments on the PIIA financial reports i.e. Monthly GL, CMP Advance Register Analysis, Budget vs. Actual reports etc.
• Ensures timely liquidation of PIIA staff and CMP/Partner advances.
• Reviews PIIA sub-ledger for all advances and prepaid expenses and follow up on outstanding advances.
• Submits in a timely manner, PIIA monthly bank reconciliation statement, receipt reconciliation report and the targeted bank balance report.
• Applies the cost-recovery policy on a monthly basis and ensures full cost-recovery at the PIIA level.
Supports Budget preparation and Budgetary Control for the effective implementation of financial plans. To do this, the role:
• Leads in the preparation of the PIIA annual budget.
• Monitors and controls PIIA budget.
• Modifies PIIA budget on a monthly basis in accordance with the rolling budget.
• Ensures budget are coded correctly
Prepares and compiles Treasury Management and Cash Forecasting for the country to ensure the availability of funds for country operations. To do this the role will ensure:
• The availability of sufficient funds in PIIA bank account to enable smooth operations.
• That the PIIA bank account balance should never be negative and bank issues followed up in a timely manner.
• That PIIA cash requirement forecast is prepared and submitted to Country Accountant for consolidation.
• That excess cash in bank account is avoided.
Manage the operations of the corporate software to meet Plan’s spending and financial reporting requirements. To do this, the role will ensure:
• That accuracy checks are undertaken to ensure that all transactions entered into the accounting software are correct.
• Processing of payment on only approved project outlines
• Value for money is attained for all payments
• Review of community and partner liquidations and liquidate same timely
• Staff advances are liquidated timely.
• That the general ledger balances especially balance sheet accounts are accurate before sign-off for GL closure.
• That general ledger balance, especially expense accounts after closure are analyzed and the necessary corrections effected.
• That a good filing system for all reports, community & partner liquidation report
• That Receipt reconciliation report is prepared before GL closure
Implement Internal Financial Controls & Payment processes for the attainment of value for money at all times. To do this, the role will ensure:
• That payments are made as per approved policies and procedures.
• That he/she reviews all the vouchers and cheques/online transactions before signed off by Plan Managers.
• That he/she never issues a cheque whenever the balance of cash books in the GL is negative.
• The preparation of PU financial audit action list after each audit and ensure compliance.
• That he/she monitors and submits report on financial risk.
• That PU accounting is processed and prepared based on the accrual accounting principle.
• Supervision of PU Accounts Officer.
• Provides training and share good experience/practice among the team to strengthen team capacity.
• Keeps CFM informed of any initiative or difficulties relating to the job’s responsibilities.
• Fulfils Plan’s Child Protection Policy at all times to protect children from all forms of abuse.
• Performs any other duties that may be assigned from time to time to support the achievement of organisational goals.
Dealing with problems:
This includes how much freedom the position has to make decisions; for example, “may approve invoices up to $1,000.”
This includes how much freedom the position has to make decisions; for example, “may approve invoices up to $1,000.”
• Ensures adherence to the country’s financial and accounting requirements as per requirements of the OM and other organizational policies and procedures to support sound financial management within the organisation
• Coaching and training of staff in the implementation of financial practices.
• Works with minimum supervision
• Analyses financial issues for decision making and refer to a higher manager for approval
• Has a commitment approval and cheque signing limit of eur 50,000
• Ensure the principles and guidelines on the new Global Policy on Prevention of Sexual Harassment, Exploitation and Abuse is fully embedded and in your area work.
• Ensure all concerned person, Child, member of a community where Plan International works and/or Programme Participant knows how to and feels safe and empowered to report any concerns, allegations or suspicions of Sexual Harassment, Exploitation or Abuse and the report is taking seriously.
• Create and strengthening the capacity of all staff, Associates and visitors to prevent and respond in a timely, effective, safe, comprehensive and confidential manner to all complaints, allegations and incidents on Sexual Harassment, Exploitation and Abuse.
Ensures that Plan International’s global policies for Safeguarding Children and Young People and Gender Equality and Inclusion are fully embedded in accordance with the principles and requirements of the policy including relevant Implementation Standards and Guidelines as applicable to their area of responsibility. This includes, but is not limited to, ensuring staff and associates are aware of and understand their responsibilities under these policies and Plan International’s Code of Conduct (CoC), their relevance to their area of work, and that concerns are reported and managed in accordance with the appropriate procedures.
[This section refers to people inside and/or outside of the organisation that the post-holder needs to have contact with, and why. This should include virtual presence.]
• Medium contact with Plan partner organizations to ensure Plan receives value for money and the financial requirements are adhered to.
• Has high contact with all country office and program unit finance staff to support smooth implementation of the finance and accounting functions
• Maintains medium contact with other staff from the program unit office to offer support for compliance with finance and accounting procedures
Technical expertise, skills and knowledge
[This section details the skills, knowledge and expertise the postholder will be required to demonstrate in doing the job well.
This should include clear levels of technical expertise and skills that support our work at national, international, and global level.]
Gained through education, training, & experience
Qualification and Experience
• University degree in Accounting plus ICA Ghana Part 2 or ACCA Foundation Level (Part 1 and Part 2), or equivalent.
• At least 5 years experience in a similar role.
• Fair knowledge of project management.
Demonstrated behaviors needed by the postholder to successfully perform the role:
• Communicates clearly and effectively.
• Ability to facilitate participative processes.
• Independence, objectivity and integrity.
• Organized, methodic and meticulous.
• Develops, motivates and coaches direct reports.
• Promotes innovation and learning.
• Gains, develops and retains credibility about his/her performance.
Skills Specific to the post needed to put knowledge into practice.
• Good management skills
• Sound problem solving skills
• Good team player
• Good negotiating, facilitating and influencing skills
• Proficient in Microsoft applications especially excel and pivot tables.
• Good communication skills both oral and written
• Good accounting, analytical and judgment skills
• Good supervisory and coordination skills
• Ability to deliver to tight deadlines
Plan International’s Values in Practice
We are open and accountable
• Promotes a culture of openness and transparency, including with sponsors and donors.
• Holds self and others accountable to achieve the highest standards of integrity.
• Consistent and fair in the treatment of people.
• Open about mistakes and keen to learn from them.
• Accountable for ensuring we are a safe organisation for all children, girls & young people
We strive for lasting impact
• Articulates a clear purpose for staff and sets high expectations.
• Creates a climate of continuous improvement, open to challenge and new ideas.
• Focuses resources to drive change and maximise long-term impact, responsive to changed priorities or crises.
• Evidence-based and evaluates effectiveness.
We work well together
• Seeks constructive outcomes, listens to others, willing to compromise when appropriate.
• Builds constructive relationships across Plan International to support our shared goals.
• Develops trusting and ‘win-win’ relationships with funders, partners and communities.
• Engages and works well with others outside the organization to build a better world for girls and all children.
We are inclusive and empowering
• We empower our staff to give their best and develop their potential
• We respect all people, appreciate differences and challenge equality in our programs and our workplace
• We support children, girls and young people to increase their confidence and to change their own lives.
May be “typical office environment”; note if heavy lifting, climbing, excess travel, etc.
This position entails 40% travelling within the program unit.
Level of Contact with Children:
Low contact: No contact or very low frequency of interaction
Low contact- the job responsibilities of this position does not require the post holder to have any one-to-one contact with children on a daily basis. There would be occasional contact with children and it is expected that children shall be protected at all times
Type of Role: Finance
Reports to: Head of Finance & Operations
Equality, diversity and inclusion is at the very heart of everything that Plan International stands for.
We want Plan International to reflect the diversity of the communities we work with, offering equal opportunities to everyone regardless of age, disability, gender reassignment, marriage and civil partnership, pregnancy and maternity, race, religion or belief, sex or sexual orientation.
Plan International is based on a culture of inclusivity and we strive to create a workplace environment that ensures every team, in every office, in every country, is rich in diverse people, thoughts, and ideas.
We foster an organisational culture that embraces our commitment to racial justice, gender equality, girls’ rights and inclusion.
Plan International believes that in a world where children face so many threats of harm, it is our duty to ensure that we, as an organisation, do everything we can to keep children safe. This means that we have particular responsibilities to children that we come into contact with and we must not contribute in any way to harming or placing children at risk.
A range of pre-employment checks will be undertaken in conformity with Plan International's Safeguarding Children and Young People policy. Plan International also participates in the Inter Agency Misconduct Disclosure Scheme. In line with this scheme we will request information from applicants previous employers about any findings of sexual exploitation, sexual abuse and/or sexual harassment during employment, or incidents under investigation when the applicant left employment. By submitting an application, the job applicant confirms their understanding of these recruitment procedures.
Work Hours: 8
Experience in Months: 60
Level of Education: Bachelor Degree
Job application procedure
Use the link below to sign up and apply for the above vacancy
Join a Focused Community on job search to uncover both advertised and non-advertised jobs that you may not be aware of. A jobs WhatsApp Group Community can ensure that you know the opportunities happening around you and a jobs Facebook Group Community provides an opportunity to discuss with employers who need to fill urgent position. Click the links to join. You can view previously sent Email Alerts here incase you missed them and Subscribe so that you never miss out.