Liquidity Manager, Treasury Markets
Jobs at:Standard Chartered Bank
Deadline of this Job:
09 October 2021
Date Posted: Wednesday, September 29, 2021 , Base Salary: Not Disclosed
Standard Chartered Bank
We are a leading international bank focused on helping people and companies prosper across Asia, Africa and the Middle East.
To us, good performance is about much more than turning a profit. It’s about showing how you embody our valued behaviours – do the right thing, better together and never settle – as well as our brand promise, Here for good.
We’re committed to promoting equality in the workplace and creating an inclusive and flexible culture – one where everyone can realise their full potential and make a positive contribution to our organisation. This in turn helps us to provide better support to our broad client base.
The Role Responsibilities
• The main responsibility of this role is the management of the liquidity profile of the natural balance sheet of the bank.
• To raise and deploy liquidity to ensure that the Bank is in a position to meet all its obligations at all times (intra-day and inter-day).
• To meet all regulatory requirements; to diversify the funding base in a prudent manner; to pre-empt times of surplus and tight liquidity and to produce a curve reflective of the Bank’s marginal cost of liquidity.
• Estimate and plan for the internal funding and deposit taking requirements of other units of the Bank.
• Liaise with other business units to obtain the best possible view of deal pipelines and deposit flows.
• Estimate daily cash flows in local and foreign currencies intra-day and inter-day.
• Communicate the funding requirements / excess liquidity position to the Head of TM, West Africa .
• Determine the levels of statutory; stress and prudent holdings of marketable securities.
• Determine the level of marketable security holdings to facilitate the Bank making payments within the local RTGS system ,leave sufficient room for the unexpected and plan to meet the above liquidity
• Raise a flag to senior management on any concerns over the Bank’s capacity to easily meet projected funding requirements
• Meet all funding and deposit taking requirements whilst maintaining regulatory; stress and prudent liquidity requirements
• Access the money markets as required, terming out the raising and placing of liquidity to ensure liquidity objectives are met whilst maximising the value/minimising the cost to the Bank.
• Whilst ensuring liquidity objectives are met, pre-emptively raise liquidity when it is cheap and deploy it when it is expensive
• Proactively establish and maintain good relationships with direct wholesale customers, including central banks, and take deposits as required
• Ensure the Bank has a diverse deposit base through direct engagement of other businesses and through ALCO.
• Develop new products for Treasury Markets which further diversify and/or reduce the cost of funding
• Ensure that the major currencies are squared at the end of the trading day.
• Operate within Treasury Market’s liquidity limits and give guidance on those limits:
• MCO, Wholesale Borrowing, Stress test, MTF and swapped funds guideline as detailed in the GMR limits. Flag any potential liquidity limit issues to GMR in advance and request temporary limits where appropriate.
• Flag any potential credit limit issues to TCRM in advance and request temporary limits where appropriate.
• Regulatory requirements e.g. Cash reserves
• Work with Head of Treasury Markets on the submission of the annual limit recommendations to GMR.
• Produce daily yield curves for the Bank’s marginal cost of funding in local and major foreign currencies, fixed and floating, for funds transfer from or to the rest of the Bank
• Ensure this curve encourages an overall balance of liquidity yet does not unduly disadvantage any business unit
• Ensure that funding and deposit taking level costs and revenues are accurately reflected, including the impact of stress; statutory holdings and the like
• Manage the relationship with the local RM’s
• Custody and management of Treasury Market’s RWA limit, ensuring adherence to the target set over the semi-annual reporting periods. Responsible for forecasting RWA usage and input into the setting of the limit, after obtaining the relevant balance sheet information from all parties.
• Own the Country Liquidity Contingency Plan
• Keep abreast of changes internally that affect the Bank’s stress liquidity
• Keep abreast of changes externally that affect the Bank’s stress liquidity (including central bank windows)
• Ensure the plan is updated as internal or external changes require or at least semi-annually
• Play an active role in scenario testing
• Ensure a full understanding of what is expected of Treasury Markets if the plan is activated.
• Actively monitor and immediately alert senior management on any evidence that the bank could be about to encounter funding stress.
• Was this plan ever to be activated, act as the primary in-country agent for raising liquidity, under the direction of the Head of Treasury Market
• Support and develop the payment systems and ensure the Bank’s liquidity supports the capability of meeting customer payment needs.
• Liaise with support services and the back office on behalf of the team, to maintain the provision of high quality services to traders
• Represent the Treasury Markets business in projects involving the implementation of major changes in the systems technology area.
• Observe controls in the Treasury-Markets processes for Trade Initiation, Execution & Capture.
• Observe the controls in the Treasury-Markets processes for Liquidity & Investment Management.
• Lead through example and build the appropriate culture and values. Work in collaboration with risk and control partners.
• Establish and maintain good contact with the local Central Bank regulators as well as their dealers.
• Monitor regulatory and market developments, provide feedback on the market and the business to sales and the management.
• Providing funding support and competitive rates to trading and sales teams.
• Assist and coordinate with the other TM units in the region
• Assist in building compliance culture within the country by ensuring full compliance in TM.
• Identify, assess, monitor, control and mitigate risks to the Treasury-Markets Desk and Business Unit.
• Observe the set liquidity and price risk limits
• Regulatory & Business conduct. Observe the highest standards of regulatory and business conduct and compliance practices as defined by internal and external requirements. This includes compliance with local banking laws, other applicable laws (e.g. laws governing securities activities, company law) and anti-money laundering regulations and guidelines.
• Understand and comply with, in letter and spirit, all applicable laws and regulations, including those governing anti-money laundering, terrorist financing and sanctions; the Group’s policies and procedures; and the Group Code of Conduct. Effectively and collaboratively identify, escalate, mitigate and resolve risk and compliance matters. Embed the Group’s values and code of conduct to ensure that adherence with the highest standards of ethics, and compliance with relevant policies, processes and regulations.
• At least 5 years experience of money markets, payments systems and banking
• Highly numerate, fast thinking
• A good understanding of cash, bond and derivative markets, with an emphasis on detail and anticipation.
• Ability to build and maintain good relationships with internal and external partners
• Ability to spot funding, liquidity and arbitrage opportunities within cash markets
• ACI certification is a must.
Work Hours: 8
Experience in Months: 60
Level of Education: Professional Certificate
Join a Focused Community on job search to uncover both advertised and non-advertised jobs that you may not be aware of. A jobs WhatsApp Group Community can ensure that you know the opportunities happening around you and a jobs Facebook Group Community provides an opportunity to discuss with employers who need to fill urgent position. Click the links to join. You can view previously sent Email Alerts here incase you missed them and Subscribe so that you never miss out.