Head of Finance & Accounting, Western, Central and Northern Africa
Jobs at:Mastercard Foundation
Deadline of this Job:
15 June 2021
Date Posted: Friday, May 28, 2021 , Base Salary: Not Disclosed
Job Title: Head of Finance & Accounting, Western, Central and Northern Africa
Location: Accra, Ghana
ABOUT MASTERCARD FOUND
Mastercard Foundation seeks a world where everyone has the opportunity to learn and prosper. Through its Young Africa Works strategy and Canadian EleV program, the Foundation works with partners to ensure that millions of young people, especially young women, access quality education, financial services and dignified work. Mastercard Foundation was established in 2006 through the generosity of Mastercard when it became a public company. The Foundation is independent with its own Board of Directors and CEO.
THE WORK AT THE FOUNDATION
We have entered a very exciting time at the Foundation as we scale up our operations across Africa to realize our Young Africa Works strategy. Our role at the Mastercard Foundation is to be a catalyst. Our Young Africa Works strategy focuses on working with others to spur systemic change so young people have the opportunity to find work that is dignified and fulfilling.
The Foundation has opened offices in Rwanda, Kenya, Ghana, Senegal, Ethiopia, Nigeria and Uganda, building a broader leadership presence in Africa to develop specific strategies that support youth employment. Within a country, we work with governments, the private sector, educators and other funders to improve the quality of education and vocational training, prepare young people for the work force, expand access to financial services for entrepreneurs and small businesses, and connect job seekers to dignified and fulfilling work.
We are ambitious and driven. Our values transcend and rise above everything else as our guide. We encourage you to bring your bold ideas, curiosity, and expertise to your work. We laugh at ourselves and with each other. We are a team. Our journey together makes our impact even more meaningful.
If you are an experienced Finance & Accounting professional ready to build something new and increase your impact, read on!
Reporting to the Head of Finance & Accounting, Africa, the Head of Finance & Accounting will lead the Foundation’s financial operations in Western, Central and Northern Africa. This is an opportunity to influence and support our growth in Africa.
A key element of this role will be building the accounting, finance and operations infrastructure in Western, Central and Northern Africa as part of a multi-year growth strategy. This will include recruiting and training an Accounting team and Finance Leads who are responsible for managing financial matters related to our programs in Western, Central and Northern Africa, developing our systems, procedures and internal processes, liaising with our country representatives with respect to operational matters, and helping to manage our relationships with external parties such as our bank and the local tax authorities. You will also be the primary Finance and operational contact for the Regional Head in the region.
As the scope and scale of our work in Western, Central and Northern Africa grows, the Finance and Accounting team’s structure and processes will also change. Your ability to be flexible and adaptable, and your willingness to support wherever needed, are critical to our joint success.
WAYS YOU CAN CONTRIBUTE
• Recruit, develop and provide coaching and leadership to the Finance and & Accounting team as the Foundation expands and operations become more complex
• Finance Business Partner to the Head of Region.
• Coordinate the Operations functions within the region in partnership with The Head of Technology, Head of Security, Facilities & Travel, and other Operational functional heads.
• Lead other ad hoc projects, as required from time to time.
Program Finance (Finance & Finance Operations)
• Responsible for financial management of the region’s programs portfolio as well as the regional programs.
• Support Programs teams and partners to oversee all the financial aspects of programming from Expression of Interest (EOI), Proposal, due diligence process, budget preparation, contracting, financial reporting, ongoing monitoring and analysis.
• Oversee the full cycle financial management of programming to ensure adherence to all compliance requirements (per Canada Revenue Agency) for the region’s programs together with the legal and compliance team.
• Adopt a risk-based approach to assessing programs and partner contracts, and ensuring proper stewardship of Foundation resources.
• Ensure ongoing accuracy of database tracking of partner commitments and disbursements.
• Provide monthly reporting and analysis to Head of Finance & Accounting, Africa, and to the Regional Head of Programs on program expenses, partner disbursements, cash flow projections, value for money, and other ad hoc reports as needed.
• Work with the Financial Planning & Analysis team with the budgeting and forecasting activities.
• Prepare overall budget and forecast data for the country program portfolio.
• Review, enhance and ensure application of appropriate internal controls and financial procedures & policies at the country offices within the region.
• Provide oversight in the compliance of tax regulations together with the Foundation’s centralized accounting function.
• Provide support to the centralized accounting function for annual audits with independent auditors and regulatory agencies as required.
• Build, support and/or manage relationships with external parties such as banks, local tax authorities, payroll service providers and legal counsel.
• Embed a risk management culture within the region as well as manage local insurance coverage and policies and other risk mitigation protocols.
WHO YOU ARE
• Professional accounting designation with a university degree in accounting or a related field. MBA an asset.
• Minimum 15 years in progressively senior financial roles within large and/or global organizations, with at least 5 in a management capacity.
• Experience in the not-for-profit sector is preferred, plus experience in commercial or investment banking or private equity is an added advantage
• Ability to assess risks and exercise judgment in making important decisions.
• Ability to challenge and provide feedback in a constructive manner with the goal of improving efficiency and operational excellence
• Innovative and able to formulate new or creative approaches to problems.
• Flexible, adaptable, and able to execute a range of job duties and changing priorities.
• Possess excellent verbal, written, and presentation skills with the ability to articulate information to a variety of constituents across cultures.
• Possess professional maturity, sensitivity with different cultures, and impeccable integrity.
• You have a commitment to Mastercard Foundation’s values and vision.
• French language required.
The Mastercard Foundation values the unique skills and experiences each individual brings to the organization and we are committed to creating and maintaining an inclusive and accessible environment for everyone.
Completion of satisfactory business references, background checks, and proof of education are essential conditions of employment.
Work Hours: 8
Experience in Months: 180
Level of Education: Bachelor Degree
Job application procedure
If you require accommodation during the recruitment and selection process, please contact the People and Culture Department at email@example.com . We will work with you to provide a positive recruitment experience in a confidential manner.
Click here To Apply Now
Join a Focused Community on job search to uncover both advertised and non-advertised jobs that you may not be aware of. A jobs WhatsApp Group Community can ensure that you know the opportunities happening around you and a jobs Facebook Group Community provides an opportunity to discuss with employers who need to fill urgent position. Click the links to join. You can view previously sent Email Alerts here incase you missed them and Subscribe so that you never miss out.