Head, Internal Audit
Deadline of this Job:
30 August 2021
Date Posted: Friday, August 27, 2021 , Base Salary: Not Disclosed
Job title: Head, Internal Audit
Deloitte is the largest private professional services network in the world. Every day, approximately 334,800 professionals in more than 150 countries demonstrate their commitment to a single vision: to be the standard of excellence, while working towards one purpose – to make an impact that matters.
In Ghana, Deloitte is one of the leading professional services organisations, specialising in providing Consulting, Audit, Tax & Regulatory, Business Process Solutions, Risk Advisory and Financial Advisory services.
As part of our offerings, our Consulting team provides recruitment services on behalf of our clients.
About Our Client – Ghana Infrastructure Investment Fund
The Ghana Infrastructure Investment Fund (“the Fund” or “GIIF”) is a corporate body wholly owned by the Republic of Ghana and established pursuant to the Ghana Infrastructure Investment Fund Act, 2014, Act 877. The Fund’s mandate is to mobilize, manage, coordinate, and provide financial resources for investment in a diversified portfolio of infrastructure projects in Ghana for national development.
The Fund seeks qualified professionals to join their team. Through a system of integrated and internally consistent policies the Fund will undertake the following:
• Attract and retain a workforce with the requisite skill mix, have a sense of professionalism, well-motivated and capable of achieving the mission, goals, and objectives of the Fund.
• Achieve sustained high levels of performance through people by motivating them through incentives, rewards, leadership, and promotional opportunities as well as personal development opportunities.
We are seeking a Head, Internal Audit to be responsible for the development of audit standards, policy, procedures and control systems and provide an independent audit evaluation on systems and controls to improve the effectiveness of controls and governance process within GIIF.
• Board of Directors
• Chief Executive Officer
Direct Reports: Senior Manager/Audit & Assurance
Department: Audit & Assurance
• Board of Directors
• Chief Executive Officer
• Senior Manager/Audit & Assurance
• Audit & Assurance Team
• Audit Service
• Controller & Accountant General
• Tax Auditors
• Chartered Institute of Taxation (GH)
• Institute of Internal Auditors
• Institute of Chartered Accountant (GH)
Key Result Areas
• Strategy & Policy Development
• Audit Planning & Assessment
• Audit Investigations
• IT Audit
• Monitoring & Evaluation
• Stakeholder Relations & Management
• Financial Management
• Information & Reporting
• Employee Performance & Development
Strategy & Policy Development
• Provide technical expertise in the development of Audit & Assurance strategy/business plan as input into the overall corporate strategy.
• Lead in the development of Policies, Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs), Work Plan, Control Standards and other support systems including monitoring mechanisms in managing the Audit & Assurance Department.
• Develop and update Antifraud programmes and practices to support GIIF’s strategy.
Audit Planning & Assessment
• Responsible for the development of Internal Audit Charter of the Fund in line with appropriate risk-based methodologies and international standards.
• Develop a risk–based annual audit plan detailing the scope, nature and timing of audit activities for review/approval by the Audit Sub-Committee.
• Design audit and assurance procedures and work programmes for implementation.
• Advice Management and/or Board on the logistical/resourcing requirements for the Audit and Assurance function, including any potential outsourcing arrangements.
• Lead and direct audits assignments to assess/evaluate the adequacy, effectiveness and efficiency of the established internal controls and procedures.
• Collaborate with the Risk Division to identify key areas of operational/financial risk within GIIF and propose appropriate controls to mitigate the risks.
• Review the accuracy, timeliness and relevance of financial information and other disclosures provided to Management.
• Provide Senior Management and/or Audit Sub-Committee with an opinion on the adequacy, effectiveness and efficiency of the internal controls within the Fund.
• Assess the effectiveness of the disclosure controls and procedures on a quarterly basis.
• Provide leadership on special investigations regarding operations of GIIF at the request of Management and/or Audit Sub-Committee.
• Lead investigations on suspected fraudulent activities within GIIF and report findings to Management and/or Audit Sub-Committee.
• Conduct ad-hoc investigations and reviews as requested by Management and/or Audit Sub-Committee.
• Provide leadership and direction in monitoring GIIF’s policies, corporate governance, financial/cost management and budgetary control measures to achieve targeted objectives.
• Review and investigate all reported complaints through the Anonymous Reporting Programme (i.e. Whistle-blower program) and make appropriate recommendations to Management/Audit Sub-Committee.
• Conduct root-cause analysis and perform corrective/preventive actions and final dispositions to identify all non-conformances of operational processes in a timely/efficient manner.
• Oversee the performance of existing IT systems and conduct specific information systems audit on relevant organisational and application software controls.
• Review IT applications, hardware and software licences and Service Level Agreements to ascertain their existence in line with regulatory requirements and IT/audit governance processes.
• Assess the Fund’s disaster recovery plans and backup systems and monitor level of compliance with approved policies and procedures.
• Review software acquisition and implementation processes and in-house software development methodologies in line with set standards.
Monitoring & Evaluation
• Responsible for monitoring the implementation of the annual Audit Plan including any special mandates or projects requested by Management and/or Audit Sub-Committee.
• Follow up on outstanding Management action plans to ensure significant risks and major deficiencies identified are effectively addressed within agreed timeframe.
• Monitor to ensure that all auditing reporting systems are in line with GIIF’s auditing standards and regulatory requirements.
• Monitor to ensure the timely implementation of Management/Board actions recommended in audit reports.
Stakeholder Relations & Management
• Liaise with external auditors and coordinate their activities to maximise audit coverage, minimise cost and eliminate duplication of effort.
• Liaise with the Risk Division and provide technical assistance in the development of an internal control culture including training to staff.
• Responsible for the preparation of the annual operating budget of the Audit & Assurance Department and monitor its implementation.
• Review/approve claims and bills for payment to Service Providers, Consultants, etc.
Information & Reporting
• Stay abreast with legislation, rules/regulations, best practices and new developments in Audit & Assurance to facilitate and enhance the operations of GIIF.
• Keep abreast with trends and developments in internal audit and corporate governance practices and advise Management and/or Board.
• Responsible for the preparation of audit reports in line with the approved audit plan and other statutory reports with appropriate recommendations and remedial actions in respect of planned and/or special audits.
• Report to the Audit Sub-Committee at required intervals on Internal Audit assignments including planned reviews, investigations and any other ad-hoc activity as required.
• Discuss audit findings and recommendations with Senior Management and report significant issues to the Board for remedial actions.
Employee Performance & Development
• Maintain a professional audit staff with sufficient knowledge, skills, experience and professional certification to meet the requirement of GIIF.
• Hold direct reports accountable for managing their assignments to ensure the department’s goals are achieved.
• Conduct performance appraisal and provide input for career development and recommend performance incentives for subordinate staff.
• Identify training needs and facilitate training for subordinate staff
• Master's degree in Finance, Accounting or Business Administration or equivalent professional qualification in related discipline.
• Member of a recognised professional body. (CIA, ICA, ACCA, CIMA, CPA).
• Twelve (12) years relevant working experience with at least 5 years in senior management position.
Knowledge & Skills
• Excellent knowledge in the use of audit and accounting methodologies and tools.
• In-depth knowledge of the Auditing and Accounting Standards and related regulations.
• Strong ability to prepare financial reports, analyse and interpret financial information.
• Demonstrated expertise in internal audit, risk and control functions.
• Excellent knowledge/understanding of risk-based auditing and practices.
• Demonstrated experience in public accounting or internal audit.
• Demonstrated leadership in audit and assurance or operational risk management.
• Good knowledge/understanding in fund management.
• Absolute discretion in handling/dealing with confidential information/data.
• Proven planning and organising skills.
• Excellent Strategic planning skills.
• Excellent knowledge and understanding of work and auditing scheduling.
• Strong negotiation and conflict management skills.
• Excellent communication, presentation and report writing skills.
• Ability to develop and maintain strong professional relationships with internal and external stakeholders and work effectively with all categories of employees.
• Excellent knowledge of project management and administration.
• Ability to meet deadlines and execute projects.
• Strong knowledge in the use of Microsoft Word, PowerPoint, Excel and internet and other auditing software and tools.
• Excellent knowledge and understanding of enterprise-wide accounting information systems.
• Strong analytical skills with sound decision making.
• Good leadership, managerial, mentoring, coaching and interpersonal skills in a "team" setting. Education
What Impact Will You Make?
Every day, your work will make an impact that matters, while you thrive in a dynamic culture of inclusion, collaboration and high performance.
Applications from all qualified individuals should be sent by COB 30 August 2021.
Work Hours: 8
Experience in Months: 144
Level of Education: Bachelor Degree
Join a Focused Community on job search to uncover both advertised and non-advertised jobs that you may not be aware of. A jobs WhatsApp Group Community can ensure that you know the opportunities happening around you and a jobs Facebook Group Community provides an opportunity to discuss with employers who need to fill urgent position. Click the links to join. You can view previously sent Email Alerts here incase you missed them and Subscribe so that you never miss out.