Finance and Operations Manager
Jobs at:Federation of Canadian Municipalities
Deadline of this Job:
09 December 2021
Date Posted: Wednesday, December 08, 2021 , Base Salary: Not Disclosed
Finance and Operations Manager
The Federation of Canadian Municipalities (FCM) has signed a contribution agreement with Global Affairs Canada (GAC) for a six-year project entitled Partnerships for Municipal Innovation – Women in Local Leadership (PMI-WILL). PMI-WILL intends to contribute to improved quality of life for women and girls, in particular those from marginalized groups, in Benin, Cambodia, Ghana, Sri Lanka and Zambia. The project will use a two-pronged approach to achieve this goal:
• increasing the participation and enhancing the role of women as leaders and decision-makers in local governance
• increasing the effectiveness of local governments in delivering inclusive, gender-responsive public services.
FCM will implement the project in collaboration with national Local Government Associations (LGAs) in each country, selected local governments/municipalities and other selected partners, including relevant Ministries, CSOs and women’s rights organizations. FCM will mobilize Canadian municipal practitioners and elected officials from FCM’s membership to provide peer-to-peer technical assistance.
The project office will be based in Ghana and covering all target countries, supported by FCM head office in Ottawa, Canada.
• The Finance and Operations Manager is responsible for the financial and operational management of the project including overseeing financial and operational activities to reduce risk and ensure compliance with GAC, FCM and local procedures and regulations. The position supports the successful implementation of the PMI-WILL project by facilitating the efficient and cost-effective administration of financial and operational functions, providing high quality services and information to stakeholders located in Ghana, the project countries and Canada.
Implement the decentralized PMI-WILL finance and operations management systems and Field Office procedures:
• Adapt the standardized, integrated financial management systems with FCM Ottawa, policies, procedures and internal controls for the Ghana office operations, including the set-up of the office;
• Build local salary scale and staff insurance package based on local practice and GAC regulations;
• Coordinate and seek guidance from Project Director and FCM in drafting all necessary legal documents (such as contracts and lease agreements) and ensure that the developed documents are in compliance with FCM and GAC regulations as well as with the Local Country Laws;
• Adapt the Field Office operations procedures to the local country context.
Manage the Ghana office operations:
• Responsible for the office administration, IT support, logistics and property management, ensure the best use of project resources as well as strict compliance with FCM and GAC regulations;
• Ensure that administrative records are well organized, maintained and updated;
• Ensure all procurements are conducted in accordance with FCM field office procurement policy;
• Manage local service provider contracts and ensure the effective delivery of services under contract;
• Supervise the implementation and the maintenance of the property inventory database management;
• In coordination with the Operations Manager in Ottawa, responsible for updating safety, security and emergency measures in accordance with FCM Safety and Security Policy and keeping the Field Office manual updated related to Ghana;
• Under the Director’s supervision, ensure that the measures referred to above are clearly explained to staff and visiting partners, including Canadian volunteers, and that they commit to apply them; and
• Ensure that all logistical aspects of the Field Office operations as well as for missions from Canada are looked after and that a schedule of needs and activities is maintained and up to date.
Manage financial aspects of PMI-WILL project:
• Collaborate with the FCM International Programs Finance Team for the preparation of project budget, cash flow projections, monthly, quarterly and annual financial project reports, and provide information on financial issues;
• Submit monthly financial reports and funds transfer requests, with consolidated data from Ghana Field Office and Partners, to HO within the reporting timeline, using the templates provided by HO.
• Ensure application of the appropriate foreign exchange rate to monthly partner financial reports before forwarding to Ottawa
• According to FCM signing authority policy, approve and monitor project related expenditures and partners monthly financial reports consistently with the GAC contribution agreement and Treasury Board guidelines;
• Provide strategic advice to the Project Director on the financial management of the project and the implications of decisions on project;
• Responsible for the financial management of the office, and the interpretation and application of policies and procedures;
• Assist the FCM International Programs Finance Team to liaise with GAC with respect to all financial aspects of project;
• Assist the conduct of external audits: review preliminary audit report and recommendations and collaborate with the FCM International Programs Finance Team for the preparation of preliminary responses for Field Office matters; and
• Develop and deliver financial training sessions to staff and partners and be responsible for the oversight and compliance of partner financial activity.
Personnel and Human Resources Administration
• Coordinate with FCM’s Human Resources department the recruitment of staff and other human resource management according to FCM established policies and procedures;
• Manage the local hiring process incorporating FCM’s values and procedures;
• Supervise personnel and payroll issues and ensure all related procedures follow the country legislation and FCM Personnel and Finance Policies;
• Keep records of all personnel information; and
• Manage and promote finance and operations staff development through team-building, coaching, mentoring and performance management.
Provide technical assistance to local partners on financial management
• Adapt existing tools and guidelines and provide training, coaching and on-going technical assistance support to local partners to assist them implement PMI-WILL related financial procedures and guidelines; and
• In collaboration with Canadian and local experts, provide technical assistance on financial management to local partners to assess current processes and practices, develop new or improved financial management procedures, to develop funding proposal to higher levels of government or to banks, and implement more transparent financial management practices.
Qualification Required & Experience
Knowledge, Education and Experience
• Strong knowledge in finance and accounting, including budget preparation and monitoring, fund accounting, and preparation and analysis of financial statements and reports. Knowledge is typically acquired through an academic education (or equivalent) in accounting or finance.
• A professional accounting designation (for example: CPA – Certified Professional Accountant, CA – Certified Accountant, CMA – Certified Management Accountant, CGA – Certified General Accountant) or equivalency in Ghana is preferred.
• Ten (10) years’ practical experience in an accounting role with a minimum of five (5) years in a people management capacity, preferably with some experience in an international development organization.
• Demonstrated responsibility for the formal management of the finance and operations staff including determining priorities, assigning work tasks, coordinating processes, providing advice, direction and coaching, ensuring quality of deliverables, and managing performance.
• Excellent computer skills: Word, Excel, Internet, E-mail, Accounting and Financial management reporting software.
• Will be formally stationed in the Ghana office but will be required to make periodic trips to the project countries and/or Canada.
• Requirement to travel several weeks per year, at times to hardship locations.
• All applicants must be residents of Ghana or legally entitled to work in Ghana.
• Fluency in English is required; fluency in French is an asset.
Work Hours: 8
Experience in Months: 120
Level of Education: Bachelor Degree
Job application procedure
Please submit your cover letters, resumes and salary expectations prior to the deadline to the following email address: email@example.com
We thank all candidates for their interest; however, we will only contact those selected for an interview. All the applications will be kept on file for six months following the hiring.
Join a Focused Community on job search to uncover both advertised and non-advertised jobs that you may not be aware of. A jobs WhatsApp Group Community can ensure that you know the opportunities happening around you and a jobs Facebook Group Community provides an opportunity to discuss with employers who need to fill urgent position. Click the links to join. You can view previously sent Email Alerts here incase you missed them and Subscribe so that you never miss out.